Thursday, March 29, 2012

THE WILD SWANS - THE COLDEST WINTER FOR A HUNDRED YEARS


[audio:http://thesoundtripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/04-In-Secret.mp3]
The Swans Flew Sky High and Landed
by R.C. Avellanosa


It was a vacation we could never forget. I already heard this record. It is found on line if you know where to look. I even have their live performance on BBC Radio Station. Spaceflower, Bringing Home The Ashes, Incandescent, Magnitude and the EP. I have them all. I have a copy of Skyray and The Man In A Burning Anorak.  What else is there? I'd say I'm worthy for a Wild Swans gig. I already have my ticket bought for me by my brother. I, my brother (Leo) and my cousin (Dong), flew for Cebu City to meet my older brother (Nonoy) and watch a band from Liverpool live. We even had the privilege to see them a day before the gig. Thanks to my brother Nonoy, we met and rubbed shoulders with The Wild Swans. We arrived at Diamond Suites just in time for the press conference to end. And as the questions and interviews ended, I could see that they are excited as we are for their gig. Ricky Maymi with the promoters and staff started selling t-shirts and CDs "The Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years". I bought the cd which cost a thousand five hundred pesos, sadly without the EP but it's worth the purchase because I had them sign on the cd sleeve front cover. Paul, Richard, Ricky, Mike and Les signed on the cover of my CD LP "The Coldest Winter for a Hundred Years". My brother had his Wild Swans shirt signed too by Paul Simpson.


We didn't have to leave the country. That made all the difference. It was like high school all over again. We were free. It was even my first time in the city. It is a vacation and I didn't have the time to look around. Though I could tell it's a busy one, more progressive than my hometown. The Wild Swans gig was what mattered. And as the night came for the gig, entering the grand ballroom of the Waterfront Hotel made it feel like home. Along with other Wild Swans fans and music lovers, beers, food & drinks everywhere, 'twas ethereal. I was almost smiling the whole time. New wave songs were played before the performance. So distinctively loud that it sounded like it's played by a different but better band. I hear Yazoo, The Care, Mighty Lemon Drops songs on the air. The front act was a Filipino band "Dead Pop Stars" who played The Smiths and Morrissey the whole set. They were great for a New Wave revival band.


September 30th of 2011, nine PM, they played the song "Bible Dreams" first. And other songs followed, my cousin and my brother beside me, were jumping, started to move forward. We saw a group of men sporting the same Bringing Home The Ashes shirts. And as the songs kept coming familiar and unfamiliar "Whirlpool Heart" "In Secret", everyone around almost became instant acquaintances. Dance, jump, shout, sing ...anyone not doing so do not belong there. My cousin and brother's beers kept flowing as the songs were playing. It was evident that the gig was ending when Paul tried to talk to a part of the crowd, urging them to come forward, stand and stop acting like zombies on their seats. We were at the very rear part of the ballroom but we tore down through the obstacles, chairs, ropes and people and ending up near the band on the stage. The VIPs sitting near the stage didn't know what's coming. Suddenly Wild Swans was so close by, we along with the other swans' fans were singing louder now that we're near them. "The Worst Year Of My Life" was played on and saying goodbye with the Care's "Whatever Possessed You".


So this record, their latest release, should be a part of a New Waver's collection. The Wild Swans still has that original sound. Paul's voice still echoes that lovingly, haunting experience he alone can give. "Liquid Mercury" was perfect. "Chloroform", "In Secret", my favorites. "English Electric Lightning" is a statement. All the songs are wonderful. The album came with the lyrics. And I was expecting "Tracks In Snow" EP too. The new Wild Swans lineup for this record; Paul Simpson (The Care/Skyray/Teardrop Explodes) on vocals, Les Pattinson (Echo And The Bunnymen)on bass, Ricky Maymi (The Brian Jonestown Massacre) on rhythm guitar, Mike Mooney (Julian Cope/Spiritualized), and Steve Beswick of Slipstream on drums.



DLink
Band Link

No comments:

METALLICA - 72 SEASONS

I didn't want you to notice that it has been years since I wrote for this blog.  It's been three years since.  I can't believe h...