Friday, March 23, 2012

GUIDED BY VOICES - PLUGS FOR THE PROGRAM


[audio:http://thesoundtripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/01-Surgical-Focus-Alternative-Version.mp3|titles=01 Surgical Focus (Alternative Version)]

Program Profound
by R.C. Avellanosa

One can't say the accurate number of records the Guided By Voices have. One can only try to listen and pass it on. You'd be amazed on how prolific Robert Pollard is as a songwriter and a performer. Sprout, Gillard and almost each of them have played with other bands with obscure names and records. They circle in and out of the band. Past, side and solo projects flooded through. There's Circus Devils, Cosmos, Gem and Boston Spaceships to name a few. But let us go back to the program.


Plugs For The Program is a special EP exclusively for Newberry comics and TVT, whatever that is. Another one of those GBV's limited editions, were apparently sold for $2.99 on some locations. There are three tracks on this EP. One of them which is Track one, "a non LP version", is my favorite "Surgical Focus" which is wonderfully remixed. It starts with a killer guitar intro. It is one of those four versions of this song. Backed up with "Sucker of Pistol City" and a demo version of "Picture of Big Time". And I, The Soundtripper, end this up by singing "I will deliver to yooooo hooo, yeah!"


Highlight
SURGICAL FOCUS (remix)

Line-up:
Robert Pollard
Doug Gillard
Jim Macpherson
Greg Demos

Production:
Mixing - Lou Giordano
Producer - Ric Ocasek

Words:
With surgical focus
She stared at me and said
I'm willing to reach out
Get in to your head
And I will keep you
and cleanse you
She glared at me and wept
A change is not going to hurt you
Not this time

And I've been waiting in line for this
Now that it's taken forever
I insist

 

Until I get it, I can't breathe
Climbing high upon the rocky cliffs
We fly
With surgical focus

Notes on SURGICAL FOCUS by thezestofyore & zazeify




"This song is so good it hurts. The true mark of a versatile song. You could play most of Bob's stuff, underwater, backwards and they would still rock."




 
DLink
Band Link


No comments:

METALLICA - 72 SEASONS

I didn't want you to notice that it has been years since I wrote for this blog.  It's been three years since.  I can't believe h...