Tuesday, April 10, 2012

VARIOUS ARTISTS | SOUNDING LIKE PAVEMENT IST RAD



Ravement for Pavement
by Righex

This is a different tribute compilation for the stellar Pavement. I can't even trace the person who compiled this.  It is different because the songs here are not actual songs of Pavement. Where most tribute albums feature artists or bands that cover songs in honor of a particular legendary band, this compilation actually features their original songs but is unmistakably influenced by Pavement, thus the description "Sounding Like Pavement". The compilation excites me because it's about Pavement for one reason, another reason is that I love various artists compilation. It has twenty-one tracks and twenty-one artists so it is an earful. It is also a loud happy record. Celebrating the essence of indie rock/pop.

I haven't heard a lot of these bands before. Johnny Foreigner's "Eyes Wide Terrified" has made me look for their records. Apparently related to indie pop band Los Campesinos! Reminds me of Triple Fast Action. Urusei Yatsura has the closest semblance to Pavement. Kozee Heart was one indie-pavement cross-over, admittedly inspired the magic of Pavement. I can still taste "Kewpies Like Watermelon" on my mouth. Mo-Ho-Bish-O-Pi's Drop Jaw is obscurely a perfect indie-op act. More popular acts like Blur, Rentals, Snow Patrol, and Shout Out Louds is equally charming. Hefner, The Strokes, Fickle Public, The Cribs, Seafood, The Wendy Darlings, The Delgados, Spare Snare, Horowitz, Envelopes...The feast has gone on and on. Everything is either cursed or cool forever.

No comments:

METALLICA - 72 SEASONS

I didn't want you to notice that it has been years since I wrote for this blog.  It's been three years since.  I can't believe h...