Monday, April 30, 2012

VARIOUS ARTISTS | IT'S CALLED MODERN ROCK


[audio;http://thesoundtripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Katydids-Girl-In-a-Jigsaw-Puzzle-High.mp3]
Better Than Love
by R.C. Avellanosa


This is a Philippine various artists release by Wea Records and was originally a playlist from Radio JAM 88.3.  Aptly entitled "It's Called Modern Rock", the compilation featured the best of the modern rock music scene of the early nineties. It was that time when grunge was still obscure and heavy metal was the fad. Music was still not considered Alternative and New Wave became New Music to Modern Rock. And so I tried to compile this selection anew, and I might not get the right sequence but this is close I hope, and I know I got all the tracks right.


Noel Burke's Echo and The Bunnymen was different from Ian's, still he did a very fine job with "Reverberation", cooing "Enlighten Me" with Will. Too Much Joy's "Crush Story" is arguably the best, most charming song here, is also played on the Idols Documentary. The Replacements with "Merry Go Round" is one of Paul's happier songs. From the album ...Sound, The Mighty Lemon Drops rendered the lovely "My Shadow Girl" which I think is now a rarity. Never realized until lately that Hindu Love Gods = R.E.M. - Stipe + Warren Zevon. Playing Prince original song "Raspberry Beret". Katydids' most amazing song "Girl In A Jigsaw Puzzle" is completely awesome. And all throughout side B, I'd leave you to play it and decide for yourself. Now, will you trip to sound with me?



DLink

2 comments:

arniedannah said...

i been looking all over for this. so that compilation was local. that's wjy i couldn't find it in anywhere! not in wikipedia .. only here. Thank you so much. There's also one compilation i am still looking for maybe you can help. Best of New Music 1 & 2. Thank you again!

Ryan said...

http://thesoundtripper.com/2012/06/the-best-of-new-music-volume-1/
http://thesoundtripper.com/2012/06/the-best-of-new-music-volume-2/
http://thesoundtripper.com/2012/06/the-best-of-new-music-volume-3/

METALLICA - 72 SEASONS

I didn't want you to notice that it has been years since I wrote for this blog.  It's been three years since.  I can't believe h...