Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DINOSAUR JR. - EAR BLEEDING COUNTRY



[audio:http://thesoundtripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/12-start-choppin.mp3]
Calmative Repulsion and Wahs
by R.C. Avellanosa


This is the best of Dinosaur Jr. release. "Ear Bleeding Country" was initially Mascis' concept of the group. Dinosaur Jr. came a long way which started as Mogo with Lou Barlow, J Mascis, drummer Pat Murphy and Charlie Nakajima (all from Deep Wound). Mogo didn't last long, and J formed Dinosaur as a trio without Nakajima. From then on he led the band as the vocalist. Dinosaur released Dinosaur in 1985. It was garage rock and punk. It was not commercially successful leaving Sonic Youth unimpressed at some point on their early performances. It was the supergroup The Dinosaurs' threat to sue the band for the name that prompted the addition of "Jr." thus led to Dinosaur Jr.


A great collection of their earlier and present tracks. From Lou's departure to their reformation, Ear Bleeding Country is a seven star. "Whatever's Cool With Me" is a nail on a dinosaur's head. J Mascis' voice always has a calming effect on me. It must be his voice and the distinct sound of his guitar licks. The wahs and the distortions work so good. At times the shift on choruses brings a part of me dropping on the floor. And I can't stop singing along on "Get Me" now officially my most favorite Dinosaur Jr. track. The adlib on "Get Me" was one of the best lead guitar solo I heard since I was born. And the rhythm section, the drums and the bass, were like parallel to it. Of course their major label releases were the edge that defined and refined them to the mainstream. "Where You Been", "Without A Sound", and "Hand It Over" clearly were undeniably the records any soundtripper who has taste shouldn't miss. "Take A Run At The Sun" is a track J Mascis a soundtrack for a movie is like the bonus track. The rhythm on "Nothing's Goin' On" is a blast. Murph blows me away. Lou's bad. They're insane on "I'm Insane". Dinosaur Jr. always makes me want to visit the drum room. Is it just me or am I sane enough to ask why the songs had to end.



DLink
Band Link

No comments:

METALLICA - 72 SEASONS

I didn't want you to notice that it has been years since I wrote for this blog.  It's been three years since.  I can't believe h...