Wednesday, April 18, 2012

THE SOUNDTRIPPER | COMPILATION VOLUME XVIII



[audio:http://thesoundtripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/02-Bull-In-The-Heather-SY.mp3]
In The Water, See It Swimming
by R.C. Avellanosa


I searched and searched online. Searched for covers of my favorite songs. Searched deeper and was not disappointed. Had to find bands that play cover songs like we do too. There were quite a lot. I chose those that sounded a little different, a version that is. This is all cover versions of some of the best songs I heard. It is quite a stellar cast of new and equally great bands.  The first song is a decent almost, acoustic version of Tool's "Prison Sex". The Go Team! surprisingly did an awesome version of Sonic Youth's "Bull In The Heather". My Vitriol's "Game of Pricks" I'd say is the best version I heard outshining the others.  The fourth track is a lovely rendition of Echo & The Bunnymen's "The Cutter" by the eccentric pop-core Solex. Joy Division is represented here by Billy Corgan's side project Starchildren. It's quite good. You'd think its his own. Placebo did a perfect dose on "Where Is My Mind?". American indie/punk rock band Bad Astronaut covered my Posies' favorite "Solar Sister". It sounded almost the same but it still feels good to hear that it is covered.


From the motion picture The Cars 2, and of The Cars of course, Weezer's pop influence and powerplay rock for "You Might Think" is simply brilliant. The Violent Femmes always sound adorably lazy covering Culture Club's hit "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me". You must have heard The The's "Uncertain Smile" somewhere one way or another. And I could never forget this rendition of Pierce Turner. The eleventh track is Jawbox squeaky rock version of Sinatra's "I Got You Under My Skin". And the last and twelfth bonus track is Ian Broudie and The Lightning Seeds' upbeat version of The Only Ones' "Another Girl Another Planet" as good as the Mighty Lemon Drops version.  These and all are the coolest songs I heard all week so far.



DLink  
The Soundtripper Volumes

No comments:

METALLICA - 72 SEASONS

I didn't want you to notice that it has been years since I wrote for this blog.  It's been three years since.  I can't believe h...